Wednesday, March 11, 2009



the seemingly endless poverty of greenness





I opened the fridge the other day, and there, waiting for me, were nothing but root vegetables.

Knobby, pale, faded, hairy, starting to wither, endless root vegetables. Mocking me, I felt.

"Here we are," they intoned. They reminded me of the old men at the corner bar, nearly sliding off their stools, grizzled chins unshaven for days on end and stained with tobacco juice, gums spottily peppered with occasional molars. "We're all you've got. Love it or leave it, sister."

Sigh.

Of course, I made the choice, again, to love them. It's just that it's not with the same throbbing intensity as I had in December, when they were fresh and nubile and bursting with promise, not yet worn of welcome. Then, all things seemed possible. Then, my tongue yearned for their earthy flavors. Then, my teeth slavered for their bitey crunch.

Now?

Now, PapaChef and I attempt, courageously, to soldier on until the first verdant freshness appears in the farmers market. At this moment, I'm not sure that moment will ever come. Did we once dream that there was fresh asparagus for less than $8.99 a pound? Was it a figment of our imagination that there was ever a wee forest of sweet, verdant broccoli trees awaiting our eager lips, at the farmers market?

I just don't know.

Meanwhile, we are eating root vegetables and trying not to keep hope alive, joyfully. We've had them steamed, broiled, baked, roasted, souped, pureed, pureed in soup, stuffed, wrapped in bacon, wrapped in duck bacon, raw, cooked, salted, sugared, carmelized, basted with duck fat and wrapped in caul fat, stuffed into pork roasts, stuffed with pork roasts, and slivered. We're running out of ideas.

You see, we wouldn't dream of buying berries or corn at this time of year. Most people would just go out and buy the things they desire, but we? We hold off until those things are available locally. We eat what farmers dig out of the rich earth, in sleet and snow, through piles of slush and in torrents of cold, drizzly rain, for us. We snatch what we can from their bounty of wintry bounty.

You see, we like it this way.

In the meantime, we supplement with pomegranates, kiwis, Meyer lemons, regular lemons, lemon grass, blood oranges, green beans for Thanksgiving dinner, bok choi from the Japanese market, and avocados and carrots from California. How would we cook without those foods? Eating locally is fine in concept but in reality, we crave variety, exoticness, a change of pace.

But, March? Oh, March, you are so beastly cruel, taunting us with the briefest of spring titillations, only to quash our hopes with yet another shower of icily grim snowflakes, another pelting of acrid, biting sleet. You vanquish all hope of silken warmth, of crisp lettuces, of flirty tomatoes and hot, sensuous sunshine.

"My love, I cannot do it," PapaChef intoned to me. "I would rather starve than eat another parsnip. I'd rather waste away to nothing than eat another root vegetable. I'd rather eat dirt. I can't do it. I can't."

But we did, and we smiled gamely while we crunched away.

We had to.

You see, it is time to tell this story again. Every March, this is my blog. Tradition? Necessity? Both? Whatever, it is a story that must be told, and retold, and retold again, and again. I've learned to relax into it.

Breathe.

Yes. Breathe.

Last week, however, after lazing around the house until after noon, finally getting ourselves to the farmers market, we found one lone, miniscule bag of miner's lettuce, for $6. The green glinted bright in the dim light that was obscured by a scrim of snow clouds low in the sky.

We threw ourselves upon it, lunging, pushing several people out of our way and batting at two small children and a stray dog as we clawed our way to our treasure. We wondered briefly, if that, what else we had missed by not getting there a lot sooner but our bodies had told us that we needed to lay in bed half the day reading the paper and drinking coffee. And if I've learned anything, it is that my body must be listened to, and obeyed. So, here we were.

We stretched that tiny bag of lettuce all week, making teeny salads trailing leaves and filling in the rest of the meal by eating more pork. My body said that was okay.

And so we drag ourselves forward, one step, one bite, one swallow at a time, beleagueredly partaking of knobby, hairy root vegetables, and dreaming.

Dreaming of spring.

Spring that may never come.



Breathe, again.





Root Vegetable Medley

Open refrigerator. Check bins for root vegetables. If there are none, go to the farmers market and ask Potato Guy what he has dug out of the sleet and snow for you this week, then buy it, begrudgingly. Stop at the grocery store on the way home for the other things you will need.

Get a pan screaming hot, as PapaChef adores saying. Add one cup of bacon fat from Wooly Hog Farms, if you can get it; otherwise, use the absolute best bacon fat you can get your hands on in your area. Cut the root vegetables up into manageable pieces. Not too small, or they will get lost on the plate; not too big, or people will gag on them. Tumble them into the pan, making sure each has enough room to breathe and be comfortable.

While they are growing browned, wash and cut up broccoli, green beans, bok choi, fresh spinach, and lemon grass. Nestle these chunks into the pan.

Add additional bloops of bacon fat, as needed, and a small tossing of sea salt, to taste. Cook until the root vegetables are al dente. The green vegetables will cook down into the bacon fat and will form a delicious gravy for the root vegetables, which are the late winter stars of this dish.

Feeds 1. (Me.)



4 comments:

  1. OMG, I know just what you mean. When I got to the farmers market on Sunday, I broke down weeping. Nothing but root vegetables as far as the I could see. Acres of them. I felt like I was back in the Great Depression, or at least what my great-grandmother said it was like back then. But then I steeled my will and gamely picked out the freshest looking ones and just, well, made the best of an awful situation. What else could I possibly do?

    Lucky for me, the supermarket on the way home has great produce so I got stuff to make a big green salad as a way to treat myself for enduring the root vegetables. No one should have to do without in today's world, no?

    P.S. Hope you are getting settled in your island home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, BEST. POST. EVER. I teared up, I have to confess!! The thought of you facing all those roots and I bet some of them still had dirt on them! That always skeeves me out! Who wants to eat dirt?? And who knows what is IN that dirt?!? Don't farmers put manure on the gound before they plant stuff?! That means POOP is on those roots!!! Ewwww!!!!!!!!!! But yea, I know, you can wash it off and they even have those detergents for food now, but I just would rather buy it all washed and clean and ready to eat like in the frozen bags. Then you don't get the E-coli and die.
    OK, so my favorite thing to do with root vegetables is to get one of those 2 pound bags of baby carrots and a couple of my favorite movies and then after Blanton is down for the night, I just sit and watch my chick flicks and eat baby carrots until the bag is almost empty and my skin has turned orange. Just kidding!!! About the skin, I mean!! That hasn't happened yet!! I do have to turn the sound up higher becasue of the crunching and my husband complains from the other room sometimes but he turns his games up just as loud as the tv so screw him. The main thing is to not wake up Blanton because then that's the end of MY party but lucky for me he will sleep through a tornado (which he actually did one time but that is another story). OMG, I just got an idea, what if you do a blog about what foods are good to eat while watching tv. You could do what foods are good for what kinds of tv, even, like chick flicks or sitcoms or the news or that stuff on PBS (I'm thinking like a turkey dinner, classy and just for special occasions), plus maybe a sidebar of the tv listings for that week. Or movie reviews!!! Also, what snacks are good with what movies!!! like Reeses Pieces for E.T.!! That's a no brainer of course. You could do more complicated ones than that, it was just the first one that popped into my head. You're much smarter than I am, I can tell, which is why i'm suggesting the blog to you instead of me doing it. But I'd be happy to comment.
    Uh oh, I think I hear Blanton. TTYL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bad, it wasn't Blanton, it was just my husband screaming when he cut himself shaving. His voice goes up real high when he does that and he sounds exactly like the baby, but don't tell HIM that, not unless you like being glared at. So anyway, back to the TV food blog idea, I saw you did the carmel corn recipe a while back with those fingers picking up some to eat. My only suggestion would be to make sure the fingernails are clean on the fingers, beause that's another thing that skeeves me out is dirty fingernails. I mean, how do you know what that dirt is when you see it taht close to food? it could be more manure!!! or the e-coli!!! or just garden dirt but what if a dog had pooped in the garden at some point!! ewwwwwwww, I am getting skeeved out just thinking about it!!!! So you would have to just make sure about little things like that. Oh, also, I was thinking that microwave popcorn is good. Easy, everyone has a microwave, plus you can put stuff on it to make it fancy, like shaker cheese. Or Mrs. Dash's. Or both!!!
    OK, now I really hear Blanton because my husband is yelling at the same time for me to come get him (the baby, not my husband!!!). TTYL!!!!!!
    Charleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that I am late to commenting on this blog entry but, you see, I have been exhausted from my travels and I'm a little ashamed to admit that I've been caught up in all of my wordpress coding.

    I love the way you give out a recipe without actually telling us the recipe. It leads the reader to have to make their own guesses and their own creations.

    I believe that this is the future of cooking. Other people, unlike us, have been so against cooking because they were so scared of messing up. By not providing guidelines, there is no way for the cook to mess up. if the cook adds too much salt, they will just have to scrap that and try over and over again until they make the right guess. After going to bed hungry a few times, the cook will finally learn how to use their own imagination and judgment. Or they will turn to processed foods or maybe go to another blog that isn't nearly as imaginative but lists the measurements. Some people just aren't whimsical enough.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.