
meet papa chef
I get so many requests from people wanting to know how Papa Chef and I met. You can always search the archives, but as this is a story that I imagine (shoutout to Yoko!) will never grow old and weary to my readers, I’d like to share it again, spontaneously. Just call this a love story in honour of today, which I will christen Non-Valentines Day.
“You taste like truffles,” he told me, when he came up for air after kissing me. At this point in my life, I’d had little contact with gloriously spontaneous foods like truffles, but I knew this was a compliment, him comparing me with the woodsy, ripe, slightly smelling of body odor, unexpectedly unusual fungal bounties of the ineffably spontaneous earth sought out lovingly, snufflingly, and ravenously by wild wooly pigs (ah, the bacon!).
We’d been at a wine tasting, me fumbling through the tables of free wine (how we do love free stuff, especially food!), him telling me how much he loved this site. And then he leaned over and kissed me, and I was instantly free from the shackles of failed first dates with men who wouldn’t return my calls and the shame of being unmarried and already in my late 30s amid a sea of spontaneously happy, married, procreating friends who were leaving me all behind in their wonderful, blissful joy.
Joyous spontaneous tipsiness took over and we ran across the street, holding hands, skipping in the sunlight, suddenly children together, happy and laughing, not caring one whit about those poor soulless people who gaped and couldn’t be bothered to say YES to YES and living life skippingly. We walked and giggled, walked and stared lovingly into each others eyes, walked and skipped and walked and looked and danced some more. And giggled, of course.
We went somewhere for lunch; I don’t remember the food because he kept leaning in for kisses, his slithery tongue and prickly upper lip wet and sweaty as the salty sea nearby, his spittle cold as a fish freshly plucked, flailing and gulping for air, from the dark sapphire ocean, the ravenous garlicky breath from his flaring nostrils whipping at my limpid lips like the stinging sea breezes, at the tiny table at which we sat, with his unmanicured hand on my leg, both desperately and longingly, palely and sweatily.
This was it, dear reader. Goodness golly me, the end of my struggles and lonely heartsong. I’d finally found someone who could fart in front of me and was willing to go on a second date soon, very soon, probably the very next week even. Here, I thought, was a keeper- this must be what people mean when they talk about The One. And when he promised to feed me truffles, I knew that we were in this, together, for a long time to come, forever, and even further than that, as our newfound love, that tastes of giggles and happiness and laughter, would know no bounds, boundlessly and effortlessly, ineffable.
Those of you who are regular readers may have noticed that I wasn't posting much at all during this time. Please understand. There’s a reason why. Certainly, I’ve been busy with other things- working and clattering away, hunched over rigidly, achingly, at my laptop keyboard, thinking and typing and thinking some more, shooting super special clips for the Food Network and searching endlessly for a literary agent who will return my calls. I’ve been winning lots of spontaneous and important awards, too, though I’ve been too busy to go into much detail about those.
But most importantly of all, I’m in love. And we’ve only known each other for two weeks and something like a day. I think. Something like that.
Technically, we met through an online dating service, but truly, I feel like we met through this website. Oh my goodness deary me it certainly sounds great as a future book tagline, too, doesn’t it?! I can’t mention any of that now, and I hope you'll respect my privacy here and understand why I can only talk to my family and true friends about this, but you know it’s ineffably blooming into being, my dears. In any case, I sent Papa Chef this site in a last-ditch attempt to test him. You see, too many men had read this site and been intimidated by my writing, by my passion and fierceness, by my force and spirit, by my bowler hats and suspenders, by my strict aversion to gluten and slutty summer tomatoes, by my intelligence, by my unusual-non-cookie-cutterness, by the incredible, indescribable, inequaled, indelible, ineffable length of these posts.
I expected him to flee, but this site made him fall in love with me that much quicklier. We knew it immediately. We both wanted to talk about food. I tried to steer the conversation to books, but no, we just came right back to food. It’s truly our passion, and it’s all we ever talk about, only, ever, late and night into the languid cricket chirpy gloaming, and early in the afternoon after we've gotten up, while I lounge blissfully and he prepares breakfast fluidly and non-fleetingly in the bright sunshine of our dancing kitchen, listening deeply, tenderly to each other's sense memories and caring about each other so much that we don’t have anything left for the rest of the world.
How can I not love this man? YES. YES YES, YESLY, GLUTEN-FREE YES.

So here we are, perfectly and equally in love with each other, laughing and dazzling each other, tasting of laughter and caul fat, lots of butter and few vegetables, duck fat and sausages and the salty happy tears that tumble down our rosy cheeks as we gaze longingly and lovingly into each others eyes, making us happier than anyone else ever could be in this wide wide world. No hesitation, no jobs, no drama, no cares, no money, no worries, no gluten, no consideration of others, only mindful experiences, honesty, sense memories, and more passionate love than anyone else could ever imagine. Trust me on that last one.
And that first kiss? Let me tell you unabashedly, with laughter and love and giggles but not gluten, for I am happy and free without it: since the invention of the kiss, there have only been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind.
A thick slab of fatty organic wild free-range acorn-fed hand-massaged wooly piggy local farmer's market bacon doesn’t hurt, either, though.
Oh goodness! You'll have to excuse me because I felt tears sliding down my cheeks while I read this story. It gives me hope that one day someone will wink back at me on match.com. Until then, I will continue to read and live through your blog. If only I had a man to love me back. I know that our tale would be the greatest love story in the world.
ReplyDelete"...he kept leaning in for kisses, his slithery tongue and prickly upper lip wet and sweaty as the salty sea nearby, his spittle cold as a fish freshly plucked, flailing and gulping for air, from the dark sapphire ocean, the ravenous garlicky breath from his flaring nostrils whipping at my limpid lips like the stinging sea breezes, at the tiny table at which we sat, with his unmanicured hand on my leg, both desperately and longingly, palely and sweatily."
ReplyDeleteOh, THIS is why I read your blog!!!! You are such a magical writter and you have such a lovely way with words. I feel like I was there, and felt what you felt, and smelled what you smelled!!!
I have tried to be a writter too!!! Sometimes I have a problem figuring out where the comma's go and I could NEVER be as descriptive as you are!!!!! Sometimes I have to run, scurrying to my dictionary to look up some of your magical words!!! “Barbaric Yarp” for instance, where did you ever hear that phrase? Did you just come up with it all on your own? I could never figure out how to use a phrase like that even once and yet you seem to be able to use it frequently, and effortlessly. Thank you so much for all the work you do for us here on the internet!!!
OMG DARLEEN!!! Who let you out of your cage!!! Seriously, I thought you were still on computer lockdown!! Did Mom go out and leave the computer on or are you still in the school library?? oh, i forgot, you are still suspended!!! Hey, while I got you here, where is my black sweater with the sequence and attached boa? I NEED that. Gary and I are going out on Saturday night and YOU ARE BABYSITTING BLANTON, don't forget so come early and give me back my damn sweater or I'm gonna tell Mom and you will be grounded forEVER!! trust me on that one!! I'm the one who's married and considred stabel!!! don't forget!!! OMG!!! you are such a bitch!!!! twit!!!
ReplyDeleteSorry, Shasta, I didn't mean to hijack your blog!! You know how little sisters can be I'm sure!!!
ReplyDeleteReally, your story cannot be more romantic! OMG, when I hooked up with Gary after homecoming senior year, it was totally like that!! Hand on my thigh, breathing down my neck, slurping up my face---OMG. O.M.G. You talk about tasting like truffles. He tasted like fillay minion(SP???). And Coors. And cigars, a little bit. OMG. Memories. I'm tearing up!!!!
So anyway, yeah. Wow. I mean, yeah. WOW.
Also, who is this Jade bitch? What a loser.
ReplyDelete"Fillay minion and Coors"...that's not what you told me he tasted like! I believe you said "snails and a salt-lick".
ReplyDeleteI'm busy Saturday and I don't have your sweater.
Go ahead and tell mom! I don't care! Why are you always such a bitch?!!!!
OMG, Darleen. GROW UP. There is a REASON you get grounded all the time. And I never said snails and salt-lick. That was that guy YOU were going out with, if you RECALL. OMG. You are such a liar. Todd, wasn't it?? That blond guy with the fat butt?? I swear, I can't keep them, straight. There are SO MANY. And you do so have my sweater, I saw it in those facebook pics you posted of you and your girlfriends at that hangout!!! I friended Mom so she can see them too, you might want to keep that in mind when you are posting all those drunk pics!!! OMG, GET A GRIP DARLEEN!!! You at LEAST need to graduate high school if you are goign to amoutn to anything these days!!!!!!!! GOD.
ReplyDeleteAlso, DARLEEN? I totally knew about Shasta FIRST so you can just BACK OFF with all the "OMG YOU ARE SO COOL" crap, because you wouldn't know ANYHTING about her if it wasn't for ME!!! OMG YOU ARE SUCH A BITCH. OMG.
ReplyDeleteShasta, I am not ANYTHING like her, I SWEAR. She is so IMMATURE. If you ever met her, you would TOTALLY KNOW. OMG. She once ate five slices of wonder bread toast with I can't Believe It's not Butter and grape jelly and bacon, if that gives you any idea. I mean, REALLY!!!???!!! Who DOES that, right??? Just ignore her. I do.
For your information I am very interested in nutrision and I’m also going to be a writter. Mr. Stallingsworth says I’m VERY good and that my vocabulary is impressive. I LOVE Shasta because she is a GREAT writter and her words are very evocative.
ReplyDeleteYou don’t own the internet.
I’m not going to dignify your insults of my boyfriends with a response, but at least I have managed not to get knocked up so far which is more than anyone can say about you. Maybe Gary wouldn’t be out looking for less boring company if you hadn’t gotten so fat after the baby…how many chins do you have now?
Shasta, just keep doing what you are doing here. You inspire me. You are truely an inspiration. YES!
OMG, you guys! Stop fighting on Shasta's website! It's really immechure.
ReplyDeleteCharleen, I'm so glad you told me about this sight. it's rilly good! Darleen, you need to leave Charleen alone and let her be a good mommy and go back to your books and stuff. Just becus your brainey doesn't mean you should be mean to you're sister.
Shasta, I think your a rilly good writer and I hope to someday be like you. I think i might have sealiak (is that how you spell it?) too because I get real gassy when I eat bread and stuff. How did you get diagnossed?
My goodness! I had no idea that my readers were so vociferous!
ReplyDeleteDarleen, maybe one day you will find the special love that I have with the PapaChef. Until that time, relax into your life. Breathe into it. If it never happens, know that you have a lot of company. Hardly anyone gets a love like this.
By the way, it's barbaric YAWP, and it's from a famous poem that you probably read in school if you were just a little bit brighter. No offense.
Marleen, I would be happy to diagnose you over the internet if you just send me a photo of how blotchy you are. I have diagnosed people from a moving car. It's one of my talents that I use for the good of humanity.
Jade, tissue, my dear? You have some snot hanging off your nose. Dry those tears, it could still happen for you. The ASPCA has lots of cats that need adopting.
do you know if any brands of bacon have gluten in them because I am worried one I tried might have had a little bit of flour used in the processing because I got nashus after I ate 5 BLTs in a row even though they were on GF bread thanks
ReplyDeleteGlutenavoider, just buy little bags of gluten-free flours. You can't go wrong. As for bacon, buy expensive designer-name-brand bacon and you will never grow ill. I have eaten a dozen or more BLTs made with this bacon and did not grow ill. In fact, I grew teary, thinking about how delicious they were. I used heirloom tomatoes from the farmers market (the higher price is more than worth it, goodness me!) and my own gluten-free bread adapted from a Bette Hagman gluten-free recipe. Homemade mayonaisse, too. I just don't understand those people who worry about salmonella. Not when there is homemade mayonnaisse to be eaten.
ReplyDeletei think you should call yourself the glutenfree contessa because it sounds more romantic and like maybe you lived somewhere exotic like italy
ReplyDelete