Tuesday, March 10, 2009

the ineffable glory of spontaneously planned recipes


The other day, PapaChef and I singingly and dancingly pushed our three grocery carts through an obscure Japanese store in Seattle. Having no idea where we were going when we purposefully got into the car, we surprisingly found ourselves there after having intentionally driven there, spontaneously.

However, if I tell you the name of this store, you see, then it won't be special anymore. This is OUR store and we only ask for the privacy that naturally comes with this site.

Most people don't understand our quotidian displays of foodly affectation and affection. We're always a little dazzled by our own special uniqueness, knowing that we are the only non-Asian people to shop here.

Most people, namely little old Japanese ladies push by, and we just know that they're chatteringly exclaiming over how wonderful it is that we grace them with our presence. "Look at that young MARRIED couple and how worldy they are!" they must exclaim. We look into their shopping carts and congratulate ourselves on our own unique finds and for avoidingly avoiding the instant ramen noodles.

What a barbaric yawp we create!

We even helped our little nephew understand that he likes this store, too, (it took weeks but now he tells everyone!) so that we can tell all of our blog readers and they may marvel at how we selflessly imparted our non-foodie food-loving wisdom on this child.

Midget Peanut, it seems, also loves this place, and not because we told he she had to in order to stay in the family, either. She normally chatters away, but this time she was busy reading the coconut can labels for hidden gluteny ingredients and perusing the notebooks for the one upon which she will soon write her parent-bashing memoirs. Even at this age, she reads and clatters away with a pen and on Twitter, hunchedly and starvingly for days on end, as much as her mama does, you see.

PapaChef and I discussed what to have for our three lunches and two snacks later that day. Silly as this sounds, unlike most people, we sometimes forget to eat half of one of those lunches, spontaneously. I don't know how this happens, since the mere fact we can eat caul fat and bacon fat and duck fat and sausage fat three times a day is pure delight, astonishingly. But we ineffably eat breakfast late, after sleeping until at least one in the afternoon, so we were not yet starving from not eating for a whole afternoon.

Barbaric yawps all around!

And then Twitter distracts me, or I have to check out another cookbook for recipe "adaptation" inspiration, or the muscle memory of my many daily soft naps calls and I must rest, for I can only work hard for an hour or so every day before I grow weary. Unlike non-foodloving most people, I must take a few weeks off soon, or I will grow even more faint from exhaustion, spontaneously.

On this afternoon, we happened to be standing in front of bags and bags of ethnic food which I find funny, gigglingly, subtlyly. I am grateful for this silly ethnic food, however, because without it I would not survive, and of course I would not be able to write this site about all the million of foods that I can safely feel slitheringly sliding over my tongue, ravenously.

Barbaric yawp!

PapaChef loves me so, as we are so very much in love, and insists that we eat a little produce with our ineffably proteinated meals, so I reached for the ginger. The smell of fresh-cut ginger is one of my favorite sensory experiences in the world, which as you know I like to describe with lots of flowery words.

I break off a leg of ginger, leaving the rest of the root to rot in the bin, and stick it under Midget Peanut's nose, telling her that she must love it too or I will lose this blogging gig WHICH I DO FOR YOU PEOPLE SO APPRECIATE ME NOW (shoutout to Dooce!), and I will assume that she's not actually our child, because my child will of course love all foods, lovingly and gobblingly. Goodness lordy me, we just know that this child will grow up and get a Food Network spot before we can blink!

We have been gently shoving herbs and spices on Midget Peanut since she was two weeks old, so this was nothing new for either of us. Please do not be alarmed, though. She leans in and obliges, because it's easier than listening to me throw a tantrum not unlike the ones I have when PapaChef does not feed me hourly, sweetly, and slavishly. However, I picked the stinky rotting ginger and not the nice stuff, vegetables being mostly foreign to me, and she squeals in protest while we know that it's really happiness, making us both cryingly teary with joy and admiration, admiringly.

Barbaric yawp, ineffably!

Let me now tell you about all the books and articles and everything else that I read, ravenously, but do not finish, sadly, because of all the time I don't have due to it being spent on you, dear reader, and writing this site for at least 30 minutes of every day. Unlike most people, you see, I work hard and love to read, astonishingly and brilliantly, but not pretentiously or braggingly.

Oh but goodness lordy gravy me! I feel faint with hunger, so I will leave you now to relish food lovingly and will forget about all the reading I do but don't finish for now. I will post about that on my private networking site page in the Seattle network, but please don't look me up- we don't need the attention. All we want is to share our gluten-free love with you.

I will post a "recipe" for spontaneous pork ramen later. Do not ask me how printing out a recipe, buying the proper ingredients, and following said recipe can also be spontaneous. I do not have time to think about these trivial things- I am too much in love with life and do not like these kinds of constraints. You may think that I am methodical, but in fact I embrace creativity!

As with every other food ever created, I could eat this at least four times a day, preferably in bed so as to properly grease up the sheets.

7 comments:

  1. Pork Ramen sounds delicious. I can't wait to see your sensefree recipe.

    My mother raised me on Ramen. Of course, I am an immigrant so sometimes it was hard to find ramen because they don't carry such exotic ingredients in Canada.

    I am a workaholic though, so it is nice to have something quick to cook up whilst I code for hours on end. I will fish out the noodles and then let my little dog drink the broth out of the bowl. Then he will climb into my bed and give me sad eyes, which I will photograph, photoshop and post on my flickr. It is really the only thing that anyone will comment on these days. That and photoshopped pictures of myself in frilly stockings.

    I think I know what market you are talking about. Just so you know, I knew about it first so I am much more special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful love you share! My eyes welled, wellingly, as I read this touching post! I wish that PapaChef had a brother, as I am single, longingly, and wishing for someone to dance with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, BEST. POST. EVER. EVER. EVER.

    Tears well up and threaten to spill over even as I type. You should have a Food Network show! It could be like for families shopping with a baby, how to get through the store, what to sample in the produce section to keep the baby entertained, how to tell if the meat is fresh or starting to smell a bit (is green ok? I never know), what things to play with in the baby aisle and put back before you check out, is it ok to eat chips in the store as long as you pay for the empty bag (which I don't think should cost as much as a full one, as it is empty), etc. Sort of a Helpful Hints for Shopping Families. And gluten free, of course. You would be a big hit. I'd certainly watch it. I have a 8 month old and he just grabs for everything and screams until I get him a thing of Yoohoo Chocolate Milk for his bottle but I'm not sur that stuff is gluten free, are you? It looks gluteny. Then he ends up screaming by the time we get to the checkout and i just throw stuff on the belt and some bitch behind me always gives me the evil eyes, or worse, tells me what i'm doing wrong, and I can't help it, I end up yelling FUCK YOU LADY at her every time, I just can't help it, it's like Turett's almost. I am down to only two stores that will let me shop there. I think you should get that tv show. I'll put in a good word for you, just tell me who to talk to. Please.

    Keep up the good work!! Love it!!!! Another day another dollar!!!

    Love,
    Charleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I forgot to ask, can gluten live on the shopping cart handles?? I always try to wipe it off but sometimes they don't have the wipes and I just use the cart anyway because Blanton is too heavy to carry on my hip all through the store and besides, he pulled some of my hair out the other day and I don't want that going on too often or I'll be bald!! Ha ha! Really, I'm not kidding even if I'm laughing. I'm not really laughing anyway, I just wrote ha ha. Whatever.

    So anyway, my question is, can gluten live on the shopping cart handles. The one you push with, I mean. Like if someone was eating bread in the store while they shopped. Thanks.

    Love,
    Charleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I wept when I read the description of you and papachef dancing down the aisles of the grocery store. Such magical, blissful, exuberant love. Things have been rough for the past year and I've never been lucky in love, but I have hope that I will one day experience the same mindblowing love that you so eloquentlyly write about.

    Have you thought about writing a book, sensefreegirl? It could be called "Farting in the Kitchen".

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, Charleen again! I had another great idea for a Food Network show if you don't want to do the one about Family Shopping with a Baby (which would also be cute if you called it How to Survive Grocery SHopping with a Baby, for all those single moms who aren't exactly a family). This other show would be starring babies too, but also food and you could make it gluten free if you want, doesn't really matter. What you would do is cook something for a baby, like your baby, and then feed it to the baby and let it get all over its face and then laugh and laugh and laugh. It would be SO FUNNY. I'd pay money to watch that. So would my friend Darlene who comes over sometimes when I'm feeding Blanton and she just cracks up when he starts smearing food all over his head and stuff. I admit it's funny for about ten minutes but then who has to clean it up? Me, of course, but you wouldn't have to put that in the show, just the funny parts. Maybe give out calenders with pictures of babies covered in mushy baby food. Every week you could have a different baby on, or just your baby if you want, whatever. Maybe bibs with the show logo. We should talk. I have a lot of ideas. We could really do something with this. I know you want to get a show and this could be it! Think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe if you twitter at Emeril, Bobby Flay, Jamie Oliver, Martha Stewart, Tony Bourdain, Rachel Ray, Paula Dean, and the Barefoot Contessa enough you can get a show of your own!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.