Wednesday, June 17, 2009

pork party, of a summer's afternoon



If you get invited (via email, or by Twitter) to a pork party where nothing but pork products will be served, hot and smoky, sizzling with fatty flavor, by someone who knows how you adore pork, and who knows how to cook it better than anyone in the entire world, and if you are us, you say YES.

yes I said yes I will Yes. I will come to your pork party. Oh god, yes. Immediately.

So, in the ineffable beauty of a sunny afternoon, we went to a pork party at a French restaurant.

Hell, yeah.

Oh, HELL, yeah.

If you don't live here, you've probably not eaten at this restaurant, though people come from all over the entire country to eat here. Even if you do live here, you probably can't afford to eat here very often because it's that special. But even if you can't afford to eat here, you should WANT to eat here. Oh, god. You should really want to eat here. You really should. That's how fabulous it is.

The chef has been all over the world and also has a radio show that I just want you to know that I've been on, twice, to promote my the book that I wrote that is still available for purchase, which of course I mention only because it was fun to be on the show, not for any other reason.

For the pork party, the chef cooked up a huge platter burgeoning with pork ribs.

Oh, god.



Just look at that.

Does it not make you want to throw your face down into it, teeth bared, eyes closed in ecstasy, salivary glands pumping at top speed, heart pounding out of your chest?

These are not your average ribs that you might get from Chili's. They're your white-knuckled-fingers-in-a-death-grip-on-the-bones-not-coming-up-for-air-until-gnashing-canine-incisors-have-gnawed-every-shred-of-pork-flesh-and-muscle-off-the-bones-and-masticated-it-in-moaning-ecstasy ribs.



Oh, god.




Here we had spectacularly fatty pork belly and farro. (Of course, I couldn't partake of the farro because it has gluten, which makes me grow ill.) PapaChef inhaled second helpings with the enthusiasm exhibited by normally only by wolves, who swallow their prey whole, nearly, and sometimes vomit it up later when they have more time to chew.






Here's PapaChef digging into some pulled pork. It was different than the pulled pork made by our friend, so we didn't have to compare. (OK, it was better.)

We ate it. It was good.

(Sometimes I'm so overcome with the experience of eating pork that I can't seem to describe it on more than a second-grade level. Please understand.)




Homemade sausage. Oh, god. Look at those blobs of fat. Can you imagine the taste? Good, because, again, I'm too overcome just from looking at the photo, to write words that describe it. It was as good as you imagine. That will have to suffice.





Thick cut pork belly bacon. Oh, god. Obscene. I couldn't eat it fast enough. It was salty and smoky, like all bacon, but in some indescribable way, better.

(We want to make our own bacon this summer. Can someone come and build us a smokehouse? Or give us a smoker? We are such newbies. We have no idea what we're doing.)

Everyone there grinned in the sunshine, wolfing down such fine pork. Some of the city's top chefs had gathered, as well as food writers, and food bloggers. But we weren't there just to stuff our faces with pork. It was for a good cause.

You see, it was to promote pig farming.

Small pig farms, to be exact.

There aren't a lot of small pigs farms in this country, but they do exist, and their numbers are growing. What they produce is still a fraction of a fraction of the pork from the 16,000,000 pigs processed annually by the industrial pig farms, which is why a pork party such as this one is so vital.

We listened to passionate speeches. Everyone tried to understand each other. It felt like an important day.

And then we went back to the tables for more pork.



Oh, god. The pork.

The pork...



yes,
Shasta

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my dear friend, how sad am I that I missed this? Your photography gave my heart the joy of a summer's day. Imagine you have just had the pleasure of eating a huge bucket of deliciously cooked ribs, followed by a cool evening playing in the dirt while working in the garden that will lovingly feed you through the growing season. You settle in for the evening, flipping on the television (or, if you are lucky enough to live on the island, settle onto the porch and enjoy the island life while smiling serenely and visiting with the local farmers). Now stick your fingers in your mouth, gently tug at the grit under your nails. Taste the spiciness of the rib sauce being overshadowed by the taste of earth. One word: yum.

    -teff guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!

    Did you ever think that maybe you're contributing to vegetarianism? In a good way, of course.

    http://kidd.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! I like roast pork every now and then and sometimes some bacon too but OMG A WHOLE PARTY OF JUST PORK?!?! Shasta do you konw it's not that good for you to be eating all that meat???!!! OMG we are talking HEART ATTACK BEFORE YOU ARE FORTY!!!! AND PAPACHEF TOO!!! You should really take an airobics class or something!! Cardio!!

    I saw this thing on tv one time about how people who eat a lot of meat have a certain smell about them, like I don't know what but it was a defintie thing. Same with people who eat a lot of fish or a lot of garlic (and not just their breath). Has anyone ever said you smelled like a meat eater? I am very curuios about this. I probably smell like Diet Coke myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shasta can you please give us an update on your bread recipe? I was so thrilled when I discovered your cookbook but I just can't get the bread to come out like anything else but sour shit bricks. Maybe the publisher introduced some errors???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teff Guy,
    Keep eating pork and one day you may find yourself at an exclusive pork party, too. It helps to be on some of the more popular social networking sites so that you can get in on impromptu party planning that seems to spring up, spontaneously. Also, you know I'm married, right?

    Dennis,
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

    Charleen,
    You, either.

    Snedler,
    My recipes have been tested, fastidiously, by a team of experts culled from my best friends on Twitter. If the recipe isn't working for you, it must be something you're doing wrong, like saying no while you stir, or not dancing in the kitchen, or using the wrong little bags of flour. Did you check the labels? Also, try bacon grease for the fat in the recipe, and double it. I find that always works to improve any recipe.

    yes,
    Shasta

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I saw some lady online who trashed your cookies but I know their rilly good so screw her right?

    NOT.

    ~your anonymous ex-friend

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.