Thursday, June 25, 2009

do you have celiac?

















One sunny day, on our way to a lovely, intimate, private, exclusive, by-special-invitation-only dinner party with our wonderful real online friends, Papa Chef and I were stopped at an extra-long stop light when we looked over to see a woman drinking a beer. Glowingly tan, not bloated or gassy, slender, talking energetically to her friends and hardly enamored to distraction with the plate of food in front of her, I knew immediately that there was a problem.


She clearly had celiac.


She must give up whatever it was that was making her so happy, I thought. Whatever was giving her such joy. Immediately.


Papa Chef agreed. Us being of one loving, united, guffawing mind, we both longed to cry out to her, lovingly, concernedly, in earnest, “please put down that beer. You don’t need it. Try duck fat and pork lard instead.”


I have many passions: grocery shopping, eating, cooking, nibbling, adapting recipes, snacking, reading and writing about food, lounging and consuming. They spill out voraciously, like lambent, luminous, leaping grains of quinoa, overflowing from a slutty, short-skirted summer lunch salad, eaten always from a vintage bowl, made only of the freshest farm stand Island vegetables, perhaps accompanied by local, in-season winter fish from the dark, ferocious Atlantic. It’s hard to keep up, I know.


I have come to realize, though, that I have one clear mission in life: I want to help everyone become gluten-free. I want to help them cook from multiple copies of my current and upcoming books and eat well, happily, ravenously, and as often as possible.


The last two years have been, without a doubt, the best of my life, and not just because I’ve finally achieved all the dreams I longed for and watched my friends whirl through, both lovingly and jealously. But without duck fat, caul fat, pork loin, pork sausages and little bags of flour, none of it means all that much, now.


I’m not suffering, though. Please understand. Oh god. I’ve discovered that everything in life is inexplicably, ineffably related to and surrounded, lovingly and calmingly, by food, and I spend so much time around food that my life is truly complete. I don’t focus on being gluten-free, YES, it just happens naturally, creeping into my life like the overgrown poison ivy at Grey Gardens. Most of the time, I don’t even think about gluten. I don’t talk about it. I hardly mention it at all. I forget that it exists. Oh god. I am not focused on poor substitutes for gluten-filled foods, like, for instance, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free cupcakes. We can be happy without those disgusting, artificial things, now. Truly.


So you see, you can be gluten-free and live a joyful life, if only you put voracious speed-eating at the forefront, joyfully, daily, hourly.


A surprising number of people have written to me to say that they, too, have discovered that they have celiac. It’s wonderful, but it’s not enough- I want more. I am hoping that enough people buy my books that they, too, can embrace the joy of a gluten-free life without the shackles of cynical advice and invasive, inconclusive testing.


Dr. Google can help as well, though you must be wary. There are many online tests for celiac that can help you in your decision, but as I said in my Food Network show (know that you can find all you need here, and not at the Food Network site, now), if you Google "gluten free" you get a million hits, and how do you know which ones you can trust? That's why I started this site. That is why I am here. For free. Unpaid. Covering my own free blog expenses. Working hard, day and night. FOR YOU.


With your help, we can get most school-aged children and at least half of their parents to grow wary and suspicious of gluten. And perhaps their extended families, too.


And if you go gluten-free, what do you eat? People whine and wail and moan, but truly, it is a joy to go without gluten, now.


You can cook vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, grains, chocolate, store-bought boxed macaroons, cupcakes, cookies, cheese and yogurt in lovely, vast, puddly ponds of soft lard. You can devour vegetable, seafood and potato salads drenched, drippingly, in gallons of tangy ranch dressing. You can strangle sausages in layers of caul fat, poach them meltingly in duck fat, and then sear them searingly in butter before sandwiching them, lovingly, between pork breakfast patties and prosciutto. You can revel in troughs of cold, creamy ice cream for midnight moonlit post-coital snacks and noontime weekday breakfasts, in bed. You can nibble on platters of flabby-crisp, salty bacon for breakfast, lunch, dinner and everywhere in between. You can even combine these things and eat bacon-lard-caul-fat-ice-cream (I’m sorry to all the poor vegetarians out there, but really, who wouldn’t want that?!).


You think we suffer? Oh, please. Far from it.


Take a few moments to think about whether or not you, too, have celiac. It could change your life, and your cholesterol levels, forever.

28 comments:

  1. Yeah, this gluten-free life really stinks, doesn't it?

    (See what I did there? I used facetiousism to make a little joke while confirming what you said about eating a zillion different foods cooked in lard and whatnot. You never even MISS the gluten. Well, sometimes. Just enough that I have to make cookies and banana bread and hamburger buns several times a week, or more. But really, it stinks. I kid. I'm really saying it doesn't stink. Well, ok, sometimes it does stink, for real. Sometimes literally, but let's not go into that here since this is a family website, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG SHASTA WHAT IS THAT A PHOTO OF IN THAT FIRST ONE???!!! IT LOOKS LIKE CHOPPED UP SMALL INTESTINES!!! is that how they dignose it??? I hope not because I do NOT want to have my instestine removed and cut up just to see if i have the celiac disese!!! OMG. O.M.G!!!!!!! I don't even like chitlings!!! I hope you don't mind me saying no sometimes because this is one time when it will be nescessary!!! OMG.
    !!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shasta, you ignorant whore. You never got a real diagnosis of celiac. You diagnosed yourself. The real reason you're always gassy is because you eat mass quantities of lard while guffawing, fakely. Everyone else gets gas from reading your fucking horrible hack 'writing'.
    Eat until you explode and die.
    ~Your ex-friend Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wheat-free Wench,
    I have never for one moment missed gluten since I went gluten-free four years ago. If I make the occasional batch of cookies, or banana bread, or scones, or cake, or bread, or pasta, or pancakes, it's because I want to eat it, not because I miss gluten. That's the difference, you see. Wanting it, not missing it.

    Charleen,
    Removing the small intestine and looking at it under a microscope is certainly one way to diagnose celiac. But I could just drive past you on the street and diagnose it that way, too, if that's more convenient, for you.

    Sharon,
    Maybe it's time to move on and just start getting cats. You know that's how you're going to end up anyway. Most people who aren't married by the age of 42 do. Please understand.

    yes,
    shasta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shasta,
    I have been reading your blog for some time and there are some things that concern me.

    Just because something is gluten-free doesn't mean that you have to eat it in mass quantities. You have got to learn some portion control.

    Secondly, I believe you might be obsessing about food. Most people (oh, I know you are not like "most people" but let's just see where this takes us) don't spend the overwhelming majority of their days shopping for special ingredients, preparing three somewhat elaborate meals, prolificly twittering about said meals and meal prep, photographing meals, editing photographs of meals, uploading the pics, consuming these meals and, finally, writing long, romantic blog entries about the gloriousness of your overeating. I understand that you have somehow tricked your way into a workfree island life but you must think of your own mental and physical health.

    -concerned

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Concerned",

    Why the vitriol? I ate a salad today. Happy? Honestly, I can't imagine what your life must be like if you have time to worry about what I eat. I don't blog or [TWEET] about the times I'm not eating anything, like when I'm asleep, or when I'm taking a shower. There's a lot of downtime from eating, if you think about it. It's just not worth blogging about. (Oh wait, I do occasionally eat in the shower but it is a little bit tricky. Foods that come in plastic wrappers work best.)

    My body tells me what it likes to eat. I just say YES. Is that so bad? I don't think so. Food is joy. Food is love. Food is life. If you don't say yet to it all the time, you are as good as suicidal.

    yes,
    Shasta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Screw you sucky Sharon for spreading your lies Shasta is the best ever writer and everything else and your just mean.

    I cant wait for her next books theyll be the best ever too. And maybe she'l even let me send her free stuff now cause you know she likes free stuff like everyone else.

    Shutup meanies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shasta, you stupid slut. Even if I had a cat, at least it's head wouldn't wind up as an out of focus, poorly lit picture on your Flickr like yours would. Buddhist my ass. You're looking a bit "rode hard and put away wet" these days. Gluttony - how's that working out for you?
    Get trichinosis and die.
    ~Your ex-friend Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shasta,

    This is a wonderful post--I'm so proud that my daughter wants to help other people, and so proud that you've achieved your dreams of becoming a published author and having such a wonderful husband and beautiful child!

    Speaking of my dear granddaughter, I do hope that your little family will be able to come and visit us sometime this summer....or maybe send us a video ... or make a phone call. It's such a pleasure to see all of you and the little one is such a joy! I know you're both very busy with being new parents and running such successful careers, but your father would have loved to have heard from you over Fathers' Day. We don't want to be pushy but we'd love to hear more about how the surgery went--I gather the little one's convalescence is going well?

    Please call when you get a chance, we miss you!

    love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charleen you idiot! Clearly it's a picture of a pile of teeth. Shasta likes to hide deep meaning inside her photos...that's why they're so blurry alot of the time. If you knew anything about great writting like I do you'd see the deeper meaning of joyful gluten free living in the pile of teeth. It's probably too deep a concept for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG DARLEEN I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!!!!

    BTW, is Gary over there? Tell him to come home please, it's trash night and for sure you are done with your algebra homework by now, right?

    OMG I HATE YOU SO MUCH SOMTEIMS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gary's not comming home. I didn't want to tell you till I was at least 3 weeks along, but now's a good a time as any...We're going to have a baby and we are gettin an apartment. He's sick of all your crap. I graduate next year and then I'll be able to get a good job and he'll just be much happier. You should probably pack up his things for him because he's kind of drunk right now.

    Mom says hi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG DARLEEN! YOUR SUCH A HORE!!!!! I can't believe you went and got pregnant by Gary!! You was supposed to just be getting help with algabra!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are such an idiot...I passed algebra last year, also, it's summer. What did you think we've been doing over here on Wednesday nights?

    Shasta, can you please list a menu for a pregnant person so I can make sure gluten doesn't infect my growing little chick pea? I don't think I've been eating right because I don't have that little roll of skin hanging around my neck yet. What should I be eating more of?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Shasta,

    If I eat a gluten laded doughnut from Dunkin Donuts, luminous in the sunlight, dusted with sugar so beautifully that the fairies themselves might have sprinkled it and crunch lovingly into the lardy goodness, deliciously savoring each crumbly bite as I lie next to Papa and watch the waves leaping lambently upon the rustic shore where our rented home is lovingly placed--um...please tell me, and be honest, I can take it!

    ..will I die?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous,
    If you used a real name, I would know what to call you. Please understand. Send me an email and I'll give you my address where you can send the free stuff. Put "FREE STUFF" in the title. I always answer those emails, right away. Others, not so much.

    Mom,
    You really need to get a Twitter account for my updates. I thought we talked about that. Also, you can hear the baby babbling in the background on our food videos where we hack animals up to prepare them for eating. Please understand.

    Darleen,
    It's too bad that you didn't wait until after 40 to get pregnant, when it is a more profound experience. You'll have to work harder to make sure that your little one doesn't grow up to be a slutty tomato. You see, the apple falls close to the tree, usually. Little Chick Pea? Good, because Midget Peanut is mine. Please understand. And just eat whatever your Little Chick Pea tells you it wants, then you will be safe.

    Crystal Dawn,
    Yes, you will die, eventually. Please understand.

    yes,
    Shasta

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your guidance. Today, it's pork snouts for breakfast. I'm overflowing with joy, basking in the sweet porky snoutness of being. I'm loving life right now, watching the light from outside stream upon the pieces of snout stuck in my teeth, and laughing spontaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Darleen and Charleen and Marleen,

    would you be interested in appearing on network television and receiving guidance and perhaps inspiration from a fat guy who wrote a book about how to stay thin?

    how would that work for ya?

    And on the way to the studio, could you pick up some Doritos? Cool Ranch, please. Not the regular ones. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG DARLEEN YOU LITTLE HO BITCH!!!!!!! YOU ARE TOTALLY LYING!!!!!!!!! I KNOW IT!!!!! JUST WAIT TILL THAT BABY POPS OUT BECASUE IT WILL NOT LOOK LIKE GARY IT WILL LOOK LIKE THAT GUY YOU BROKE UP WITH LIKE TWO WEEKS AGO!!! SHAWN WHAT IS HIS NAME!!!! BITCH!!!!!

    YES, dr. Phil i would TOTALLY like to be on your show but if you want Darleen too then BE PREPARED FOR WAR!!!!! MARLEEN STAY OUT OF THE WAY BECAUSE THIS COULD GET UGLY!!!!

    Oh and Darleen i still want my pink sweater back. It probalby won't fit you now anyway if you are telling the truth about being knocked up.

    Love,
    Charleen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Charleen,
    I think that we probably have a lot in common-- my wife left me years ago and I love pork. Please feel free to contact me if you need a muscular, tanned (yet sensitive and bold) shoulder to cry on.
    -teff guy

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG Teff!!!! Do I know you??? Did you teach biology at Erie H.S. like three years ago??? You sound SOOOOOO familiar!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!

    luv,
    Charleen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Charleen - of course the baby will look like Gary. That will be a new experience for him won't it? I'm comming over later to get some of his things. He wants me to pick up his NASCAR collectables and his shot glass collection. I'll bring you your sweater but you're just being a bitch because you know it will fit me fine even when I'm showing because you're about 80 pounds fatter than I am.

    Dr Phil - I'd love to be on your show but for some reason Gary thinks people might think he's kind of a dick - and also I won't be 17 for another another month and so technically he might get arrested. I keep telling him that I'm way more mature than most girls my age - and way more mature than my sister ever will be but he still won't let me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG DARLEEN YOU ARE SUCH A BITCH!!!! If 112 pounds is 80 pounds more htan you weigh then you are some kind of midget freak!!!! unless you are counting Blanton in too since he is glued to my hip on account of the teething and the terrible twos, then ok, maybe!!!! but even that is stretching it!!!!

    Keep the damn freaking sweater, I don't like it anyway.

    Love,
    CHarleen

    ReplyDelete
  24. 112 pounds? Not likely with all the ranch dressing you eat!

    ReplyDelete
  25. mdcfaerygoddessmamaJuly 12, 2009 at 8:38 PM

    I hope all you pregnant mamas are eating your placentas. That would certainly ensure that your babes don't get celiac. Of course, you'll want it avoid wheat anyway- it's totally a product of Big Pharma.

    Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG DARLEEN YOU BITCH!!!!! IT IS SHASTA WHO IS CHUGGING DOWN THE JARS OF RANCH DRESSING, NOT ME AND YOU KNOW THAT DAMN WELL!!!!! GOD. OMG!!!!!

    Sorry Shasta but its true, you are always talking about drinking ranch right out of the jar. I only have it on that salad at Chili's.

    luve,
    Charleen

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG WEHRE IS TEFF GUY???

    ReplyDelete
  28. mdcfaerygoddessmama,
    I was a vegetarian for ten years. Also, when I gave birth to Midge Pea, I don't know what happened to the placenta, so we didn't eat it. I've heard it can be quite tasty, though I tend to stick to the meats where the host no longer exists. Buddha says it's ok as long as you honor it with a photo, first.

    And, did you know that namaste is Asian for YES? Most people aren't aware of that. I am, though.

    Charleen and Darleen,
    Why the vitriol, at each other? Usually many people get all vitriolic about what I write. Maybe you should rethink your diet. Add lard. Its creamy texture and mild taste can soothe frayed nerves, wonderfully.

    yes,
    Shasta

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.