Monday, February 23, 2009

of noodles, lovingly






Awhile ago, I sent the book into the publisher.

Then, I was hoping to get on to the couch for some serious lounging for a few weeks, at least. However, our publisher (adorable, nitpicking man) sent it back just THREE DAYS later! Ay god, did he not realize how weary I'd grown over the two weeks, previously? Hunched at my computer, tapping away, fingers a-clatter, biting my lip as I carefully crafted sentence upon sentence, stopping only to eat, look at the baby, sleep, check my twelve favorite blogs, wave hi to PapaChef as he fed, changed and bathed the baby, eat, check Twitter and make sure the celebrity bloggers am aware that I am there, eat, sleep, check Facebook and my twelve most favorite blogs, sleep, and eat.

And that's before I even have lunch.

Astonishingly.

My head bent low, I called out, beseechingly, to PapaChef.

"Honey, my love? Can you put down Midget Peanut for just a minute and come here?" Tears welled up in my eyes, threateningly, nearly spilling over, almost making tiny saltwater rivulets down the plains of my face.

He came running.

"What is it, my love, my only? Are there more vile comments on the blog again? Did you ingest gluten, inadvertantly? Do you need a snack?"

Oh, I love him so.

"Darling, no, it is far worse than any of that. Well, not as bad as being hungry. No, but almost. You see, our darling editor has sent the manuscript back, already! I thought it must be a mistake, but no. Look at the edits."

I pointed to sentence after sentence that needed to be re-crafted. And this, after all my hunching and clattering of keys.

"Oh, honey, I know you needed a few weeks off after working so hard for the past few weeks. Tell you what, I'll make roast pork tenderloins seared in bacon fat and basted with duck fat for dinner! Your favorite! And zucchini draped with cheese, would that make you feel better?"

Goodness, I love this man.

I sniffled. "Could we have the rest of the foie gras, too? I don't think I can go on if I don't have just a smoodge of it on my tongue..."

"Of course, love."

Oh my goodness lordy me, how I adore this man.

So back to work I went, after twatting at Martha Stewart and a few other people, whom couldn't be put off any longer. My dream, you see, is to spread knowledge of celiac to humanity through the wonder of technology, and grins.

I was in the middle of a twat to Bittmann when I looked up to find a steaming pile of sweet potatoe-rice-amaranth-teff noodles, steamingly fragrant, beseeching me to eat them.

"Just a little something to tide you over until the roast is done, my sweet pie," murmured PapaChef, close to my ear. His breath felt like tiny flickles of tenderness upon my earlobe.

I didn't have a moment to waste, so I started, immediately, to whorl the noodles onto my fork and slurp them onto my waiting tongue.

Heaven.

It's hard to take yourself too seriously with noodles slipping and sliding inside your mouth, over the bumpy tastebuds of your tongue and down your throat past your larynx and down your esophagus and into your stomach. Noodles are so silly! I'd love to hear what you do with noodles. I know most people do not have a PapaChef in residence, but I'll be more than happy to hear your noodle ideas anyway.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my god, BEST. POST. EVER. Your words are like the down on an angel's feathers, dusting lightly over all of us, warming our hearts and our taste buds.

    I like to make noodles with a tomato sauce comprising GF tomatoes, GF onions, GF ground beef, and GF dried basil. SO good. I usually sprinkle some Kraft Parmesan on top, which I think is GF. I haven't gotten sick yet so it must be ok, right?

    My naturopath says I should eat more Vitamin D and less dairy, what do you think? My bowels are ok, I'm not sure what he's talking about. What's Vitamin D?

    Love it love it love it! Keep it coming!!!!

    Shosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I am so glad I found your blog!!! It is like the light in a long dark tunnel!!! You're writing is so luscious, I could just eat every word of it!! How do you do it!! It's like poetry!! but about food!!!

    My favoritest way to eat noodles is raw out of the box. I love the crunch of them on my teeth. I eat raw whenever I can!! Go raw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, where do I sign up for a job where you get a few weeks off after working a few weeks?! I could sure use that right about now! Thanks for the noodle ideas, though, they'll sure come in handy, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE YOUR POST!!! I recently found out I am sense-intolerant, so I am so happy I have found your blog!! Every post is like a perfect gem of senselessness!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your bravery. It moved me, spontaneously, to braise a slab of smoky bacon in baby chick fat and cover it in avocado. Well, beef tallow sculpted into the shape of avocado.
    I'm sure you'll get some blowback from the food nazis out there, the sanctimonious type with no personality who hate yes and think it's important to be alive past your child's fifth birthday, but I, for one, am, happy to see that someone out there isn't afraid to spread the barbaric yawp of full fat real food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get over how lovely you write! It's like a baby's giggle, or a lover's sigh, all sweet, and sticky.

    My most treasured noodle dish involves noodles, bacon, sausage (homemade, of course), celeraic (most people don't cook with that, but, I, do, dear blogger), and butter. It must all be GF, naturally, and one simply combines it all until it's glistening and slithery.

    Keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Felicia--I'm sure you didn't mean to make our dear friend feel badly, but surely you realize how hard SFG works for the good of all of us who can't ingest any gluten?? I don't see why you need to complain about a blog that is absolutely free and full of such wonderful recipes, storeis, and love, things you can't get anywhere else that SFG offers purely out of generosity. It takes so much courage to pour your heart out on the page every day, or week, or uh month or whenever she updates, and then when someone comes along jugdeing you for not working yourself even more to the bone to provide such WONDERFUL content with no strings attached...!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm dead chuffed to read all of your heart stopped comments. My goodness, I am not sure what I have done to deserve such laudations. I do feel, however, that there are few things that need addressing, here.

    Felicia U.,
    I'm sure you don't realize it, but I work very hard at "writing". It involves long hours hunched over the computer, then maybe if there is time, a ride in my car that isn't new to the farmer's market, where we pick up work-related food items which we are forced to eat in the name of research. Just because we eat meat at nearly every meal doesn't mean we own a slaughterhouse. We're barely scraping by. Don't assume what you don't know. God.

    Anonymous,
    Thank you. Barbaric yawp right back atcha.

    cupncake,
    No, it is I who am honored to work for all of you, not to the bone so much as to the innermost chambers of my heart. And while it stings and even causes briney tears to overflow my eyelids, the criticisms are just a part of being a food blogger, in this barbaric yawp of a world. Some people are just always going to be mean and vile and ask prying questions about things that are none of their business. I've learned to live with it. I have to. I just say BAH to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh SFG, I'd love to make noodles but I just don't have time since we are moving to our lush island home soon and I don't have a minute to spare! Maybe I'll have time to slurp and whorl noodles after we are settled in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Foodbloggerkissup,
    My dear, not to be unkind, seemingly, but you do know that a house on Staten Island does not qualify as an island home. The same also applies to any house on the south shore of Long Island, and many on the north shore, as well. Not island homes, not any of them.

    I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. More Sense Free Girl, dammit!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.