Monday, February 14, 2011




I know, I've said it before.

Every year.

I hate Valentine's Day.

There. I said it.

Again.

I hate the forcing of pink thrust down our throats everywhere we turn, the crass commercialism and money-grubbing restaurants with their menus for lovers, expensive entrees loaded with succulent meats and rich cheese and cream.

I hate the smattered splatter of red hearts glaring from all the store displays, like a bloody bath of aloneness, never letting me forget that I had no one for all those years.

This year? Is different.

A little, anyway.

You see, my friend, the one whose very own pink heart was battered, shattered, blown to smithereens by a guy she used to date? You know, Mari? The one I told you about on Twitter? Her? Well, she called me up.

And I knew.

I knew, with the knowledge that only comes from having gotten there first, that she had found love.

I could hear it in the phone, over the miles, her voice as light as an island breeze caressing my eardrum. Lighter than I've heard it in years. Through the phone I could hear her shriveled, closed heart opening to the warmth of love, like an island sunrise over Puget Sound with the ferry's long, low horn sounding in the distance, and gulls swooping at bread crusts floating on the water's surface.

That sound.

That's love.

You see, I had been there myself. 39 years of alone, within hours of hanging up my dating shoes for good, I found him.

And then my world exploded in a flash flood of love, a rush to make up for an adulthood of deprivation, late nights of our hands and mouths never resting, the smell of truffles, even the dirt under his nails a thing of exquisite beauty to me.

I could hear all that in her voice.

That's love.

Her voice, an echo of my experience. Softer, coming from far away, never to have the force of my own. But she was sweet to try, at least.

But that's her story to tell, the story of her friend for so many years, whose wife was also her friend, whose wife battled cancer so bravely and who died so sweetly and valiantly, and how he grieved for a year (I want to be sure you know that, that she didn't just jump in there the minute she read the obit), then called her and she said yes she said yes I will yes, yes, by god YES. She opened her heart to him, let him in, let herself love him after so many lonely, hard years of being alone, alone with her dark, closed heart, a ragged half waiting for her other ragged half to make her whole.

But really, that's her story to tell. It's not about me at all.

So, this year? This year? This year I'm spending the day in my pajamas, on the couch. Moving around Valentine's Day sideways, not really looking at it. Muting the TV commercials for heart-shaped hot tubs in cheesy resort hotels, for restaurants and their greedygrab menus with inflated sweetheart menus.

You see, Papachef won't be here to cook for me. With me. As usual, he will be spending the day cooking for other people. People who don't love each other nearly as much as he and I love each other. People who throw drinks at each other, who break up over their filet and lobster, people who thought they were going to get married but who end up embarking on a long, lonely, loveless period in their lives instead. People who don't deserve the food that my chef, my husband, my love feeds them. People who don't deserve his attentions.

People who want to think they're like us, but aren't.

But he'll leave them when his shift is over. He will come home to me. I'll have made dinner for him, my love, my everything. Then we'll watch tv together, on the couch, and eat.

That's love.

And I hope that you can find it yourselves someday.

You probably won't. But you can always read about my and I, here, and maybe that will begin to fill your heart.

A little.


yes,
Shasta


Recipe for Lovers who hate Valentine's Day

Make a roast. Pork butt is good. Or ham.

Really, any pork product will do.

Using butter that you have softened lovingly on the counter for a day, pipe a heart on the top. Spread some red jelly inside it.

Eat.

Feeds 2 lovers.




21 comments:

  1. OMG OMG OMG- I know what you are giving your Hubby for V-day and I think it involves a special kind of hypoallergenic pork product! Heee heeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Biggest Fan AgainFebruary 15, 2011 at 3:21 AM

    And OMG can you talk about avoiding cross-contamination um, Down There, when doing stuff between the sheets with your Hubby? I'd rather not get sick from molecules!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG and also, does he have to use a tongue scraper or something before making out with you? Because I imagine you can get sick that way, too. I mean from molecules, I am sure he brushes his teeth sometimes and all. I can't really tell from pictures but it looks like he might.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shas,

    Can I call you Shas? I feel like I know you so well. I've read your blog regligiously for years, I follow you on Facebook and on Twitter, and I've bought several copies of each of your books because I keep wearing them out as they sit on my bedside table. I only wish you would write more. I know you give and give and give but sometimes I want more. You're like a well of cool, clear water but my thirst is the Sahara desert with a side of Mojave, in a drought year.

    I had a point but now I can't remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you recommend a dating service? Because I'd like to meet a guy like yours but I never have any luck. I go to the grocery store every day and go up and down every aisle but I never find anyone. What is your secret? I would love to meet a guy like Papachef. I love the fart story. So earthy. I need an earthy guy. Really earthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria, GOD why the frekout, are you jelus of Shasstas fame or something? GOD cam down alreddy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NO. Its not. God why would you say that? GOD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you so much don't listen to the hatred out there I bet if they lived in a joyful spot like THE ISLAND there harts would be too filled with JOY to be mean tu yu!!!!!!!!!

    I have a question though. I bought several bags of Xantham gum through your affiliate program with amazon. What do I do with it? I know! I will send it back and ask for a refund!!! Everybuddy who bot the flour should send it back

    ReplyDelete
  9. your ex-friend SharonFebruary 15, 2011 at 10:50 PM

    Hey Mari--remember when you asked me why I was limiting contact with Shasta and trying to keep her out of my life as much as possible? This is why. Wanna start a support group?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shasta, I am WEEPING after reading about the story of your friend finding love. Thank you. Just... thank you.

    So many people think that food is just something you eat in order to fuel your body and maybe tickle your senses. But you and I know. We know. We know it is much more than that. Food is an obsession. And, god damn it, I don't want to be fixed. I don't want it to go away. I want to soar.

    - jamie, the teff guy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Shasta, I'm so excited that you're posting again! I wish I could find my soulmate like you did, as I'm in my 40's and tired of spending Saturday nights with only "Golden Girls" reruns and a gallon of gluten-free Rocky Road to keep me company.

    YourBiggestFan, that's soooooo dirty, hee hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also Shasta, what is an appropriate dish to bring a grieving widower whose bones you'd like to jump now that he's available?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Shasta,

    I have tried several of your recipes but they don't work, now. They all come out looking like dirt encrusted sheets and filthy kitchens. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flossie,

    Why bring a dish? YOU are the dish! Just GO for it! YES!

    Just IMAGINE Shasta and her hubby doing nasty things all over the kitchen counters. That can be your inspiration. Can't you just picture it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sharon, why are you so angry at Shasta? You should say YES to love and NO to making houses out of empty Lean Cuisine boxes for your cats.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You guys just need to chill out okay because if you just said YES and BREATH you would feel your chest opening to the sunlight streeming over the splooge-splattered kitchen counters.

    Why don't you go get a kid and dance with her near an open stove and leave Shanna alone so she can work on another wonderful recipe and be honored by Martha Stuart. Your keeping her up at night so bad she can't even submit a recipe without using a sick toddler as an excuse.

    JUST BREATH.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Shasta,I'm Jewish, not Buddhist. Will I still be able to have a gluten-free Passover? I DO live on an island, but it's called Manhattan and sadly lacks in organic, locally-grown fennel. Also, pork products are right out, completely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to make your gluten-free quiche, but I'm allergic to eggs, dairy, shellfish, nuts, preservatives, all grass-eating land animals, foods that start with the letter "k" and kitchen utensils. Can you post a suitable recipe by this Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Flossie, I drove past someone like you just the other day, sitting there at a table outside a cafe, deep in a conversation with a man, probably the love of her life since it was here on the island. Her face looked deadly serious, pale, drawn, full of hurt and aching.

    Textbook case of celiac disease, possibly with other less important food intolerances. My own heart bled for her. I would have leapt out of my moving car to help but there was a roast at home, in the oven, along with a rhubarb compote and rhubarb buckle and also a cobbler, that needed to be eaten. So I kept driving, through my tears.

    It hurt so, to feel so helpless.

    Grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.