Wednesday, May 13, 2009

how to feed a baby






The first time I met Gladiola, she climbed onto me with a book and asked me to read it. She knew every detail, almost as if she'd heard the story before, many times, from her mother or father, who may have pointed out those details, every time. It was uncanny.

She was three.

After reading the book, she hopped down and said, "The lemonade stand is now open!" I asked for a gluten-free lemonade and she said "Comin' right up, big lady!" and served it right up, without skipping a beat.

She was still three.

How many three-year-olds know what gluten-free lemonade is? She's some kind of genius, that little one. I've eaten in many restaurants where the wait staff is completely flummoxed by my request for something as simple as gluten-free asparagus, and yet, here is a three-year-old who knows more than they do. Tears welled up behind the edges of my eyelids.

Later, again, as we sat and talked of things, with PapaChef lounging on the floor with his back to a piece of furniture, someone cracked a joke and we all doubled over in belly-pained guffaws. PapaChef didn't quite get the joke, immediately, so his giggles erupted from deep in his belly, after a few beats. Gladiola smacked him and said, "That was funny!" Which we still say, all of the time, around here, because it's so hilarious.

She was still only three.

And that's the kind of child she is. Smart, sophisticated, aware of my needs. Responsive to my humor. She gets me. And she was only three.

Later, still, she came to visit Midget Peanut in the ICU, which is the part of the hospital where they hook patients up to oxygen and IVs but don't restrict visitors at all, where kids can get into bed with infant patients if the mood strikes. No hysterics about spreading germs or viruses to newborns, unlike in some ICUs.

She was only four.

In the interests of full disclosure, I will say now that Gladiola's father is a very close friend of mine. I helped him write his book about feeding his little one. I read the first draft of it, and made a lot of constructive comments that I felt would improve it, then the second draft, because I have written two books now and I know how it's done, whereas he was new to it all, and needed my help, in order to be successful. I'm thanked in the acknowledgments. The publishers, lovely people all, asked me to write a blurb for the back cover. And, oh god, so did Anthony Bourdain, who is really famous, so my status in the literary world has risen, a bit. I'm sure Glad's father is grateful for my help. Certainly, I adored being helpful to him. I know a good book when I see one, and this one is great, especially the parts that I polished up. And also the back cover.

Yes.

It's a fiercely funny, tender book about a foodie (I used to call myself a foodie but since then I have decided it's a stupid term) father feeding his little one. It's so so so so so much better than other books about feeding babies, partly because I helped so much with it, but also because he's belly-hurting hilarious, comparing his child to a celebrity drug addict who has been the butt of millions of jokes for years. How can you not be amused by that? How can that not make you not want to read the rest of the book? There's something wrong with you if you don't. You are probably one of those wan, thin, listless types who have no sense of humor and who don't understand what it is to live to eat, constantly.

As I said, I know a good book when I see one, and this is a great book.

Buy it.

Read it.

Especially the back cover.

I will come after you, if you don't buy it.

You see, it's not like other books about feeding babies, which are all so damn sanctimonious and boring with their "facts" and "recommendations", the ones where it feels like the authors are peering into your shopping cart and making catty remarks about what you are buying, for your baby, judging, criticizing, sneeringly.

And really, feeding a baby? Who needs to read a book to do that? Just give them what you eat.

yes,
Shasta




Bacon & eggs for babies

Get a couple of eggs, preferably ones from the island but any free range organic eggs from chickens with amusing personalities will do if you can't get to the island, which I realize is not possible for most people to do.

Crack them into a vintage china bowl. Take a photo to honor the eggs.

Prepping the eggs. Whisk the eggs, gently at first, then with more vigor and fortitude, until they froth playfully around the edges, a scrim of bubbles across the surface like seafoam on an island beach.

Cooking the eggs. Bring a pan to moaning hot over medium heat. Place one flollop of free-range organic non-hydrogenized fresh island pork lard into the pan, and watch, entranced, as it sizzles to a soft puddley melt. Carefully nestle the liquid eggs into the lagoon of melted lard, breathing deeply of the porky scented goodness. Cook on slow heat until cooked through.

Meanwhile. Fry up half a pound minimum of free-range hickory smoked organic bacon from humanely raised and slaughtered island pigs, or Smithfield Foods brand if you don't live on the island. Drain the fat off into a bacon fat saver container, to use later in cookies, muffins, or as body salve.

Serving the eggs. Break off a tiny bit of bacon and tuck it into the eggs. Eat the rest of the bacon yourself so as not to waste it. Feed the eggs to the little one, watching intently for her face to light up when she gets to the bit of bacon tucked into the eggs. Rejoice, spontaneously. Finish whatever is left of the eggs, with more bacon as needed.

11 comments:

  1. OMG I CAN'T BLIEVE YOU POSTED THIS RIGHT NOW!!! Blanton is TOTALLY driving me nuts with the whole eating thing!!! He only wants a ham sandwich every day for lunch and my mom said that is way too much salt for one baby, even one that wieghs 35 pounds!!! what should I do?? shouldnt he be eating an apple or something??!! OMG he just screams and throws stuff at me when I try to give him something else like a cheeseburger or pizza!!! it has got to be a ham sandwich with squeezy cheese and mayo and no lettuce and on white bread!!! He is JUST like his father!!! Gary eats the same thing every single day, HAM HAM HAM HAM HAM. I say what about some turkey and he's all like "HONEY, if I wanted TURKEY I would EAT TURKEY." So how can I argue with that??? At least he doesn't throw turkey at my head like Blanton does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charleen, I know I'm not Shasta (I can only hope one day I'll be as cool as she is!), but might I offer a suggestion or two? I think your little one is reacting to the presence of gluten in the other options you are offering him, cheeseburger and pizza. His body is instinctively reacting; the muscle memory of what you have through as a celiac seeped into him through his placenta while he was nestled in your womb. Of course he screams when you suggest such poison!

    Of course, there is also gluten present in his ham and cheese sandwich (you bad mommy), but the porky goodness of ham counteracts the evil gluten (good mommy after all!). Perhaps the addition of bacon to his cheeseburger or ham to his pizza will entice him to try new and exciting foods?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, a sentence above should read the muscle memory of what you went through as a celiac. I got so excited to help I forgot to proofread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG thank you so so so so so much for encouraging people to feed their infants eggs. Can you imagine the nerve of these pediatricians, saying we should wait until a child is two before introducing eggs? As long as a baby has been breast fed and the mother has no history of food allergies, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Shasta,
    Your modesty is amazing. Everyone knows how much you influenced this book. Let's face it, the book would be a mess if you hadn't stepped in and brought some magical tenderness to the story.

    I've never found anything comparable to the sweetness that I experienced when feeding my own little one. I still remember the day that she ate her first burrito (pork, of course!). It burned her little tongue because I had let it cook in the microwave a bit too long. Yet, through the pain, she managed to look up at me with tear-filled blue eyes. In that moment, I knew that she got it. She understood. I had managed to pass down the tradition of the frozen burrito to her. And that made me feel fine. Damned fine.

    I chuckled to myself that afternoon. She did not know how much that single bite of burrito would influence the rest of her life. Yet, one day, she will.

    Shasta, I've been hearing some negativity in the blogworld about you. It does concern me. To the haters, I must say this-- so what if Shasta rarely cooks anymore? A person doesn't have to know how to cook in order to write a cookbook. For instance, I am currently working on a book about repairing your car at home on a budget, although I have very little knowledge on the subject. My brother is a mechanic so I just go to his house and take pictures while he works. And then he tells me what he's doing and I write it down. It isn't any different than writing a book based on your own knowledge. I'm just simply writing a book based on someone else's knowledge. And Shasta is doing the same thing. And it is wonderful.

    And, yes, ladies, this old bachelor is still single!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could feel the tears welling up as I read this luminous entry, Shasta. I wish my parents had had a good friend like you to help them write cookbooks and realize how special I was. I believe that physical disease is a manifestation of our emotional states and needs, and I am sure my celiac is the direct result of the fact that my parents had so little time to spend laughing and dancing with me as I grew, much less preparing special meals for me. If only they hadn't had to go to work every day and had fed me more lovingly, fully, joyously, I would be able to eat a wheat-flour bagel today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omigod, Shasta, you hit the nail on the head. Why do people think that feeding a baby is so hard to do??? You just mash up whatever you're eating and feed it to them. What is so hard about that? Can you believe that there are CLASSES on how to feed a baby??? Taught by chefs, even?! I mean, god a mighty, it's like exercise classes taught by certified exercise teachers or whatever. Why in hell do you need to take a class in how to jump around and sweat?!? I mean, really. Or gardening, there are people who take classes in gardening!! What is so hard about sticking stuff into the ground and watering it??!! If you have a question, just look it up on google!!! I've even seen classes on now to make freakin' MUFFINS!!! And then you get these people who say it's not just the how-to, it's meeting new people with shared interests and getting out of the house and having fun and what-not!! Well, I say you can do all that in the checkout line at the grocery store for free and then go home and make your muffins and lay on the couch and eat them!!! For free!!! I mean, really. Next thing you know, someone will be teaching a class in how to shop for groceries and then eat while laying on the couch!!!!!1!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lactose-free lassMay 24, 2009 at 4:12 PM

    I know just what you mean about that little girl. My best friend's daughter is also reading novels at four and is also so so so so so compassionate with those in pain. She was at the hospital just the other day and climbed onto someone's bed in the ICU and read "Good Night Moon" to the man. He looked like he was in a coma but you could tell that it touched his heart. It certainly touched MY heart when I heard about it, later.

    Another time, I was at their house and we were all just sitting around schmoozing. She was pretending to have an ice-cream stand and I asked for lactose-free ice cream on a gluten-free cone, and make sure there are no eggs in the ice cream, and also, please wear food server gloves because I'm allergic to other peoples' sweat and body oils and dander. She said, "Here you go!" and handed me exactly what I'd ordered! I was astounded that she could process all that and produce an imaginary ice cream cone that would not make me grow the least bit ill. She was not even three, so probably smarter than your friend's kid, but don't hold it against me! Please understand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I just want to say that under no circumstances should you feed your baby garlic under the age of 18 months. Aged garlic is ok. It's that young, fresh garlic under 18 months old that will kill a baby in two seconds flat. Or make very bad breath, I'm not sure which. Anyway, I know you have to avoid it. Or they will become allergic like me, later in life, and that's really tragic. But at least I don't smell faintly of cheap hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tomato-free TootsieMay 27, 2009 at 8:25 PM

    How sentient, Shasta! I was just the other day shoveling eggs and bacon into my 2 year old when he erupted in a stream of invective against baby food. He seemed to be irate that we'd fed him baby food instead of what we'd eaten. But I wanted to avoid food allergies and dependence on salt. Silly me! You see, I can't eat tomatoes. They give me the hives real bad. And (ahem) bathroom troubles. I would never wish that on my little one, you see. So I gave him baby food. I hope I am not consigned to an eternity in hell for this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.