Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Forgive me, my friends.

It's been forever since I've posted here.

You see, I was glutened.

No, wait, let me back up. You deserve the entire saga, replete with every last detail.

It matters.

You see, our stove, in our island home, stopped working, spontaneously. Ay god. The Chef and I could hardly imagine a more calamitous disaster erupting in our midst.

Us?

Not cook?

For a day? Goodness, whatever would we do with ourselves?

Our hands twitching to get into the food, to fluff gluten-free wholegrain flours together?

To pound a delicate fish with a meat tenderizer?

To nestle our ears up against the sizzle-burble of sauteeing bacon searing in its own fat? Our feet, restless to dance, forced to be sadly still as island rocks on the beach? Our hips, longing to bump each other, made to stay apart?

But wait.

It got worse.

The repairman couldn't schedule us for an entire week.

A WEEK.

Goodness, can you imagine?

Yes, we have a grill. And yes, The Chef can go to his restaurant and cook. But it's not the same as when he cooks for we three. And what about our toddler's sad look when she asks, "Mama? We bake? We bake now? Me think asiago cheese biscuits with asparagus tips and McCormick oregano would be delicious. Why we not bake now? Mama? Why you crying? Mama. Want to bake. Where scales?"

No matter. I could always spend the extra time on Twitter, garnering sympathy for my unbelievable plight.

I mean, me.

Can you imagine?

Without a stove or oven for a week?

Ay god.

Of course, I planned to take the toddler to The Chef's restaurant at least several times to eat. She adores running around reaching into the food bins and sitting on the counter, gnawing on an apple while I snap photos and The Chef waves his knives around.

She's a restaurant kid, you see.

And me, I adore ordering dishes from the gluten-free menu and snapping photos of them to put on Twitter, spontaneously.

Happy.

That was my week.

Until.

Until, one evening, in an island restaurant---no, of course it wasn't The Chef's restaurant, where did you get that idea?---where I was forced to eat because of the whole stove affair, seconds after I forked a load of what was supposed to be gluten-free food into my eager mouth, salivary glands working overtime in anticipation, I felt my gut seize up.

And the brain fog.

Ay, the brain fog.

Like a heavy scrim of grey clouds over the Pacific Northwest when summer tomatoes dance on vines everywhere else?

That kind of brain fog.

It could only be one thing.

Gluten.

How could this happen?

On the island?

In an island restaurant that was absolutely not The Chef's restaurant? I know I said we could go eat there while the oven was down but that doesn't mean we ate there THAT night. You can't prove that we did.

I've lived here for two years. Two years spent carefully, assiduously, training wait staff, chefs, line cooks, hostesses, restaurant owners, dishwashers, busboys, cleaning crews, vendors, laundry service people, restaurant patrons, and passersby about feeding me safely.

How is it that there is someone who didn't get the memo?

I went home. I felt wretched.

Wretched.

The bloating. The gas. The wasted hours spent in the bathroom. The scrimming brainfog greyness clouding my every thought like a camera oscura.

So very, very wretched.

Who was to blame?

The Chef said it was an inexperienced line cook, young, probably right out of Vashon high school, new to a summer job, not realizing that all it takes is a half teaspoon of gluten to make me grow wretchedly ill for three solid days.

I was livid. How can this even happen, in this day and times? At an island restaurant that was familiar with celiac disease because there are only a handful of restaurants on the island and even fewer that I eat at, not that it was The Chef's restaurant, of course?

How?

And the toddler, not comprehending why Mama was spending all her days in the bathroom instead of next to her, on the sofa, while Sesame Street cheerfully brayed from the television set, her hands plunged into a bowl of gluten-free pasta with Manchego cheese, slivered salame, porcini mushrooms, McCormick dried seasonings, ceci, prosciutto, and artichoke hearts with a dressing of imported Japanese vinegar and olive oil glugs.

Goodness.

Two nights later? Still in the throes of bloat and searing intestinal pain and the scrimmy cloudcover curtain of dim grey brainfog? When friends were meeting at my favorite gluten pizza restaurant? The one where everyone's face wears a quiet, happy smile? I was not about to let a half teaspoon of gluten keep me down. I struggled through my agony to make a ball of gluten-free pizza dough, then get the toddler ready to go---which really all I had to do was make sure she was wearing the monkey boots and coach her how to make sure they were in any photos that other bloggers might snap of her. And find a semi-clean pan for the dough. And then get to the ferry and the restaurant.

I was not about to let a half teaspoon of gluten hold me back. The best thing for bloated, tender intestines is a dish with cheese and salty, fatty, processed meat. Doctors have been telling us for years that bland foods are what's needed when recovering from intestinal ailments, but I read somewhere that the opposite is true. I can't find it now, it may have been on my blog, come to think of it, but it works for me. So I do it. You should too. Order yourself a pizza and dive your face into it, with gusto.

Get right back into the saddle.

Still, I am left with lingering fury over how this could happen.

Restaurant owners?

Servers?

You have to serve folks who can't eat gluten.

Deal with it.

According to the Disabled Americans Act, all public places must be able to safely feed me.

And if you can't, you're going to hear about it.

From me.

Just ask that California pizza place.

And certain airports.

And certain dumb airlines.

Bring it on, my friends.

Bring it ON.

30 comments:

  1. Ay, I had tears streaming down my face at the gravity of your travail and your eventual triumph through the power of meat and fatty pork products. What a compelling story as usual and I thank you for your honest truth-telling of what must have been such scary moments for you, your husband and the toddler!

    I myself haven't been glutened in nearly a year, since I started faithfully reading your blog and I shudder to think of the horror you endured. WHAT ARE THESE RESTAURANTS THINKING by serving gluten products? I completely agree about your edict that ALL restaurants must stop serving gluten immediately under the ADA. Do you think we can start something on Twitter or Facebook to make this happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeping Wendy,

    Thank you. Thank you so. Your message is one of the most heartfelt that I have ever gotten. I sobbed so hard that I gulped for air when I read it.

    But.

    I am not demanding that restaurants stop serving gluten. No, I merely think that every chef, line cook, server, hostess, and busboy be educated about feeding me safely. And by me, I mean me and my followers, of course. We deserve to eat out as much as those who can eat gluten, and we need to start demanding that our needs be catered to, safely, conscientiously, thoughtfully, and caringly.

    I will not rest as long as celiacs are still being served 1/8 teaspoon of gluten in public places.

    I will not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Shasta dear!

    SO glad you're back! I was so worried that I resorted to waving my Native American dreamcatcher around while chanting for your health and quick return. So glad that it worked. You can thank me later.

    I think I got glutened last weekened at a restaurant. I was at a big celebration of friends and family at a restaurant and it should have been a joyous, danceful occasion but it ended in tradgedy for me. I had ordered a double size portion of steamed mussels which I absolutely swoon for, and just as I was prying open one last stubborn one and popped it into my mouth and chewed and swallowed it, rejoicing in its seafoody goodness, I saw what looked like a bread crumb floating in the liquid.

    My heart froze. Had I eaten other bread crumbs? Where had they come from? Had some careless person in the kitchen shaken a baguette over my bowl of mussels?? OMG. Sure enough, I spent the night in the bathroom, feeling wretched as my body purged itself of that gluten crumb.

    I am still on chicken broth and baby food peaches as I recover. I didn't think to have a pepperoni pizza two days later. Maybe I'd feel better by now if I had!

    Yours,
    Sha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last week I went to a local Mexican restaurant. I told the server "No gluten, por favor" and he brought me a soft pork tamale covered in cheese, sour cream, beans, onions, salsa, caul fat and pork rinds. I deovured the delicious feast but an hour later I became violently ill. They obviously snuck a half-teaspoon of gluten in my dinner!

    My question is, how do I say "I will become horribly, digustingly sick in your restaurant" in Spanish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sha,

    Thank you. Thank you so. Your comment was one of the most heartfelt I have ever read.


    Mom,

    If you are burning your loaves, which I am sure are gluten-free, right? Trim off the sides. No one will ever know.

    As for your question, I don't know. I only speak Italian, as @sensefreechef and I lived there for 9 days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shasta, darling. I write this with the best of intentions, the purest of hearts, the most loving of loves. You know I would never question anything you say, but I am just wondering--just a little bit, not a lot---what the 1/8 teaspoon of gluten means. Does it mean pure gluten? Like what the vegans make meat out of and that you can buy in little bags from Bob's Red Mills? Or does it mean 1/8 teaspoon of a food that contains gluten in which case wouldn't it vary depending on what the food is? And didn't you used to say a half teaspoon was all it would take? I am so confused. I've lost sleep over this. I'm so worried about getting glutened that I never go out anymore at all. Please understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wart,

    Your comment was one of the most heartfelt I have ever read.

    Grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why don't u just stay home 2 eat safely? You don't need a stove to cook ya know. Sometimes I like to dip that Oscar Meyer pre-cooked bacon into a jar of peanut butter for dinner. No mess to clean up and no stove. WHich is good cuz the utility cut our electric when my ex refused to pay the bill. (That bread-eatin' jerk.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear Shasta, I am so happy you are posting again it is such a gift to have your guideance on eating out safely. I realy miss pizza since going GF and I'm so afraid of eating at my local pizza place as I see how much flour is flying around when they make their regular dough and I just don't know how they would get it out of the oven if they are baking the GF pizzas in the oven with the non-GF pizzas, do you know if heat kills the gluten?? I wanted to bring in my own GF pizza dough and gralic bread but the restaurant manager said something about hygiene regulations and they couldn't let me do that, do you think I can sue for GF-discrimination under American Disabilities or something? I am so sad without my pizza :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How u doin gfriend? Remember what we talked about on th bus. I heart you so much! ready to tear out th hair of any1 who threatens u, u no that! I will go all cavelady on their a$$es if they so much as look a u Xeyed! U no that! Love ya tons! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Genannania,

    Litigation is never a YES response. Instead, use Twitter to call out, castigate, shame, and reform. Graciousness is not necessary since you only have 140 characters.



    Anonymous,

    This is my living room. Please don't use the F word* here.

    Grateful.

    (*I mean "faked". Not the one most people think of as the F word. Goodness, I use that one all the time.)



    Anonymous,

    Hey, you. xoxoxoxoxoxo more. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. SHHHHAAAASSSSSTAAAAAA!!!!! OMG GF U R BAGCK!!!! OMG U wouldnt believe, Blanton is like 4 feet tall now but he's ony like 3!!!!! years old i mean!!!!! Yesretday we were int he safeway and he lent over and grabbed a gallon of Wesson oil when I was off reading the lable of something and he got the top off and poured it on the floor and by the time i got to the cart from halfway down the aisl, like a dozen old grannies had skidded and a couple even fell down!!!! thatll teach me to go shohpping at 10am. in the morning!!! OMG TOO FUNNY, i thought of you in your island store with Lu running around a muck!!! she and Blant would have SUCH A GREAT TIME OMG!!! I wish we lived closer so we could get together!! Gary and Darleen broke up btw But I think You knew that, rite??! OMG!!! I'M SO GLAD YOUR BACK!!!!! whens the next recipee anyway???

    ReplyDelete
  14. The American Sugar CouncilSeptember 13, 2011 at 6:39 PM

    Hello, we at the American Sugar Council are looking for a vibrantly healthy blogger to blog for us on our blog, "Sugar Is Not as Bad as You Think!" We need something who values sugar in her diet while still maintaining the appearance of stable blood sugar. We think that you may be the one! Interested? Drop us a line @ info@screwthesugarhaterz.com! (We pay in all forms of sugar! Sweet, right?! Haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey. I heard Charleen was in here. I need to talk to her. Give her the message for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. She said I still owed her for July but that is a lie, I paid her in cash at the gas station. If you could just psss that on thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. and I'm not paying August until this is cleared up, tell her that too, thanks alot, appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  18. and I'm not paying for august until this is cleared up, tell her that too. Thanks, appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey GArry!!!!

    Charleen, Mom says don't bring Blanton over any more until he is trained because she can't get the pee out of the rug and she is pissed!!! haha, that is so so funny but it's true and she means it, trust me!!!

    ps do you have my super lo rise jeans that I got with my babysitting money, if yes than I need them back!!! like now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shasta, your prose is like a sweet forest breeze across a parched desert that lifts me, gently, off my feet, out of myself, and wafts me to heights I have never known, before.

    Swooning in gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG HELP ME RIGHT NOWSeptember 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM

    SHASTA!!! i am in a lab right now & suposed to get a glucose tolerance test and they just looked at me like I was crazy when i asked them if there was gluten in the glucose!! it sounds like there is, right??? what do I do????? panic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, I am coming to the island to eat at Chef's Resturant, should I take any precautions against getting glutened, like bring my own food?

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG GARY YOU HAVE MY PHONE NUMBER!!! why you have to come in here and bother Shasta!!! so embarssing!!!!! sorry, Shasta!! It won't happen again!! OW BLANTON STOP THROWING TRUCKS AT ME YOU LITTLE SNOT!!!! omg I am having a crappy day I think this calls for shopping!!!! CU LATER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh and marleen tell mom FINE she will have to come over here to see her grandson and dont worry I have vynil flooring tho I don't know what shes talking about, Blan never has an acident here that I can tell anyway!!!! I dont have your lo rise jeans!!! ask that bitch Darleen, I am not speaking to her since the last incident!!!! You owe me 3$ by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well-said, Shasta. We have to make restaurants accomodate our gluten intolerance. I find that standing on a chair elevates me above the waiter, putting him or her in the submissive position. Also, this way the entire restaurant notices when I explain, so I have witnesses in case I am not fed safely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shasta, darling,

    If I should grow ill and die because some negligent restaurant is all weighed down by their "realistic ability" to "stay open" by "not screeching the kitchen to a halt to sterilize everything for one patron", I just want you to know that I want you and only you to be the one to make a public spectacle of my husband's grief.

    Besides, if that restaurant was SERIOUS about food, their staff would be concentrating on laughing and dancing and opening their chests to the sun as they fed me safely, instead of worrying about banging out those 175 other tickets during the lunch rush. God.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Shasta, darling, I cried so much reading your post that I might have thinned out my cream of potato soup. (But now it's seasoned with love!) Last time I went out to eat, I got poked in the head with a passing breadbasket and I suddenly broke out in a cold sweat with the tummy shakes. It was scary! Dining out is like navigating a minefield in a war zone, only without uniformed men with funny accents trying to kill you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ay, Shasta, Eggs? Eggs? Eggs? Ay, Eggs. I don't expect you to say very much for a very long time and I DON'T KNOW HOW you are going to write your next post.

    Eggs? Ay, Eggs. Ay. Ay. Ay.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Shasta, I can't eat gluten or eggs or soy or dairy, particularly on days that begin with the letter "T." But I, like you, believe in the healing power of fatty meats.

    You yourself said it, as people are starting to Deeply Trust their bodies and demand to be Fed Safely, don't you think there should be such a thing as Vegans Who Eat Pork? I don't mean chicken, which can harbor bird flu or other unsavory micro-oganisms. Not birds, but pigs. Yes, pigs that are raised in warm, comfortable, HOMEY environments, like the one you toured, remember? You said it was like a home. It made me feel all homey and comfortable inside when you wrote that and I felt good to be eating pork chops that day, for breakfast, but not before doing a bit of dancing in the sunshine, just as you do. You are SO inspirational!

    I think we need a new category here, Vegans Who Eat Pork, and you are just the trail-blazer to do it. Perhaps a new book is in order?

    Love,

    PCP

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous,

    Eggs? Eggs.

    Eggs?

    Confused.




    Eggs?



    PCP,

    Actually, The Chef and I have been dreaming out loud of a cookbook for vegans who eat meat daily for some time now, though we didn't realize it until we read your comment aloud, to each other, as we sat on the sofa and danced in joy. Tofu fried in pork fat will be featured.

    Grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.